The University College of Medical Sciences was founded in 1971 by the efforts of the then Health Minister of Delhi. The Health Ministry proposed to provide medical education to every student who attained the eligibility criteria to study medicine. Even with the presence of two Medical Colleges in Delhi - MAMC and LHMC, many students were left out and denied the opportunity to study medicine. In 1971, classes for the new college initially started in the makeshift Department of Chemistry in North Campus of University of Delhi. The students back then had their clinical postings for practicals at the Lala Lajpat Rai Memorial Medical College. Shortly afterwards, it was shifted to the Safdarjung Hospital in South Delhi. In 1986, UCMS shifted to its present location at Dilshad Garden and was associated with Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital.
UCMS has a huge campus, which also includes the Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital. GTB hospital acts as training hospital and has bed strength of 1000.
It provides facilities like central workshop, animal house, hospital laboratory services unit, hostel, medical illustration & photography, medical education unit, skill lab and canteen. The college also has technological facilities which includes audio-video, telemedicine, electronic assessment & other facilities.
The college is also provided with sports and gym facilities for the sp
Internships are provided at the hospitals attached to the college.