is the annual social and cultural festival of IIT Madras. It is a five-day long event held usually in the second week of January every year and is attended by over 50,000 students from colleges all across South India. This five-day festival is the traditional meeting place for the young and those young at heart. Saarang is very popular among college students and Chennai locals alike because of the wide variety of cultural events (music and dance shows), celebrities and competitions it hosts. Saarang is characterized with the days jam-packed with events and competitions, and then the nights where, the best professional artistes from India and abroad enthrall the packed Open Air Theater at IIT Madras.
Saarang is an entirely non-profit organisation run by the students of IIT Madras.The organisational structure of Saarang comprises the Core group members (or Cores), and Co-ordinators. The Cores head the various departments of Sponsorship & PR, Finance, Publicity, Web-ops, Events, Design, Hospitality, Facilities and Requirements, Security and QMS (Quality Management System). They are assisted by the co-ordinators (around 250 in number) who are assigned more specific work.
Shaastra is the annual technical festival of the Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM), Chennai, India. The Sanskrit word ‘Shaastra’ means science and the festival accordingly consists of various engineering, science and technology competitions, summits, lectures, video conferences, exhibitions, demonstrations and workshops. The festival is traditionally held over four days and four nights during the first week of January. It has so far seen fifteen editions, having started in its current avatar in the year 2000. Shaastra attracts participation from all over India, and seeks to provide collegiate students with a platform to showcase their scientific and engineering talents. Shaastra is entirely student managed and holds the distinction of being the first such event in the world to be ISO 9001:2000 certified for implementing a Quality Management System.
COLLEGE LIFE IN IIT-M
- Amazing Internet and DC++: Individual Single Rooms with Internet access 24 hours, 1 gb high speed netaccess which cups mostly. And unlimited GB of hproxy net. Apart from that DC++ is the most heavenly thing, you can never get tired of downloading things. Everything you need to keep yourself entertained you will find there.
- Rooms: You will get a cot, an almirah fitted in wall, a FAN, table and a chair. There will be plug points and lan port available. Condition of room depends upon the previous occupant.
- Common washrooms: Cleanliness of them depends upon your wing mates, Cleaned daily once a day.
- Entry of Girls in Boys hostel: Yeaa, some hostels in IIT Madras allow the entry of gals from morning 9 am to evening 7 PM, the discretion lies in the hand of the warden, that is why all the hostels dont have this freedom. But let me tell you this entry is for academic purpose only. Boys can enter girls hostel only during hostel nite, which happens once in a year in the month of april apart from that NO ENTRY.
- TV: All hostels have common room, you can watch tv there. Full during cricket and football matches. Otherwise people hang no to tv series and youtube.
- Sports: Almost every hostel will have a TT room, apart from that some of them have a pool table as well. Some hostels have football ground, cricket ground, basketball court within the premises. Apart from the hostel facilities their are many common facilities. GYM is FREE, Swimming pool is tad cheap. Apart from that there is amazing tennis court, basketball court, volleyball court, hockey ground, cricket ground, skating ring in common facilities.
- Restaurant: IIT has its own restaurant cum dine in canteen as Quark, right now Zaitoon serves there, you can find all the special delicacies at amazing prices in one of the best surroundings in the city.
- 24x7 Canteen: IRCTC operates a 24x7 canteen which serves tea, juice and dosas whole night and food till 12.
- Ramu Tea stall: A tea stall which is open till 4 am in the morning, serving sandwiches and tea at just Rs 5 [Writing answer from Ramu itself]. Apart from that you can buy snacks, cold drinks here.. even at night when whole city sleeps.
- Campus cafe: Most subsidized place of campus, you get everything cheap here, best place when you are broke.
- International cafe: Located in the heart of campus, this place had discounted CCD before, then came bullshit Kickstart which was recently kicked, now waiting for CCD to come back again or even better cafe. Right now CCD is also operating in campus at himalyas.
- HUL canteen: Noodles, rolls and wraps and cool place to cut birthday cakes at himalya, they also have some outlet inside hostel.
- Vending machines: Some of the hostel have vending machines, to get all the food you want to hogg upon.
- Insti Lingo: IIT madras has its own lingo, where we PUT everything, but still things CUP..!!