Way back in 1707, the first hospital in Calcutta was built in the premises of the Old Fort at Gerstein Place. The Council of Fort William constructed this hospital. This hospital, initially built for the Europeans, was then known as Presidency Hospital. The hospital was accommodated in a single storied building. Later, in 1768, two houses were purchased in Lower Circular Road for converting them into a full fledged hospital. Located near the Presidency Jail, the hospital came to be known as Presidency General Hospital. Doors were opened to the non-European patients from 2nd April 1770. The Presidency General Hospital was best known as PG Hospital till 1954 when it was named in the Independent India, as Seth Sukhlal Karnani Memorial Hospital. The naming was done to commemorate the name of the great donor Sukhlal Karnani. People started addressing the Hospital as SSKM Hospital.
It was then a practice that the Indian medical graduates used to go abroad for studying post graduation and higher medical research. Government felt necessary of opening Post Graduate Medical Learning Centres. PG Hospital was honoured to be the first Post Graduate Medical Institute in Eastern India in 1957.
From 16th January 1957, the hospital came to be known as The Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research (IPGMER). The institute was inaugurated by Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, the then Prime Minister of India, on 16th January, 1957. Since then the institute is best known as a Medical Learning Centre of Excellence and a Specialty Hospital, with the following objectives.
Today, the institution is best known for study of undergraduate, post graduate and post doctoral level medical courses, specialist medical degrees and diplomas, para medical courses, nursing courses in UG, PG and Under school level and is known as the Bethlehem of advanced medical research.
The college offers Bachelor, Master and Diploma Programmes in various field of Medical Science
The college is associated with the Seth Sukhlal Karnani Memorial Hospital
In 2003, BC Roy Inst of Basic Medical Science merged with IPGMER. Institute of Neurological Sciences was setup
In 2004, Medical Council of India approved Undergraduate medical course to the institution
Lady Canning House was built for Diploma Education of the nurses in 1926
The college started School of Nursing to conduct para-medical courses in 1955
The college has inaugurated Fair Price Medicine Shop within the premises of IPG&R was inaugurated by, Smt. Mamata Bannerjee, Chief Minister of West Bengal
The hospital facilitates Dialysis unit, 30-bedded ICCU, NICU, ICU, Burns Unit, Brachytherapy, DEXA Bone-Mineral Density equipment etc. Imaging facilities include CT and MRI, 15 mA mobole to 800 mA static equipments, Digital Radiography etc.
Ronald Ross, the then researcher of PG Hospital started his research on Malaria in 1890
Golden Jubilee of IPGMER and Tri-centenary of the hospital (SSKM) was celebrated in 2007
The institute is sprawling on 34 acres of land which is 14 Km away from institute and to the Key Railway Terminus Howrah and Sealdah, which are 6 and 5 kilometers away respectively.
Age-related blood lymphocyte subsets in healthy Indian children- a multicentric study
Neurodevelopmental follow up for high risk babies born at district hospital
Epidemiological evaluation of “Low Back Pain” prevalent among different strata of people in West Bengal
Evaluation of immunomodulatory activity of black tea (Camellia sinensis) extract in rheumatoid arthritis: an in vitro study of expression of inflammatory molecules and cytokines in synovial fluid and tissue cells of patients with rheumatoid arthritis
Biochemical Changes Related to initiation and progression of Visual and vascular Disturbances in Type 2 Diabetes mellitus
244 A .J. C Bose Road
Kolkata - 700020
West Bengal , India
033- 22235181 , 2204 1101
The Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research is located on 34 acre of lush greenery on 244, Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Road, near Race Course ground of Kolkata. On its north, across the AJC Bose Road is the longest fly over of Kolkata and is the stunning and admiring Victoria Memorial, erected by Lord Curzon in the honour of Queen Victoria of England.
Sports and Games