Institution Type :
Dr. Dr. R.A. Mashelkar
College InformationClick on any button below to know more
Institute of Chemical Technology, [ICT] Mumbai
The Institute of Chemical Technology (ICT) Mumbai was established as the Department of Chemical Technology on 1st October 1933 by the University of Mumbai, through active support of industries and philanthropists. The Institute was most popularly known as UDCT, Mumbai. Research has been an integral part of ICT since its inception and it has created over 500 first generation entrepreneurs. The UDCT grew significantly in stature and was granted autonomy under UGC regulations by the University of Mumbai and further converted into an Institute on 26th January 2002. Under the World Bank TEQIP programme, the Maharashtra government granted it full autonomy in June 2004. Due to the recommendations of the Government of Maharashtra and University of Mumbai, the ICT was granted Deemed University Status by the MHRD on 12th September 2008, with all provisions of the UGC for funding and support as the state-owned deemed university.
Affiliation of Institute of Chemical Technology, [ICT] Mumbai
- University Grants Commission
Application Criteria of Institute of Chemical Technology, [ICT] Mumbai
- Candidates must secure 55% in their Higher Secondary Examination in order to apply at the University
- For postgraduate courses, the candidate must secure a minimum of 50% in their Higher Secondary Examination as well as the undergraduate course they have pursued prior to the course they wish to pursue presently
- SC/ST students must secure 50% in their Higher Secondary Examination in order to apply at the University
Key Facts and Figures of Institute of Chemical Technology, [ICT] Mumbai
- The MHRD had evaluated all deemed universities in the country in 2009 and granted “Aa” grade to 38 universities among 135 deemed universities. The ICT is rated as Number One Deemed University with “A” grade. It is the only one among 4 in Maharashtra State, the other 3 being centrally funded TIFR, TISS and CIFE.
- The ICT has also been rated as Number One Institute by NPIU among 127 TEQIP funded Institutes, all over India, in October 2010.
- Biospectrum magazine in August 2010 has also rated ICT’s programme as Number One among all biotechnology programs in the country and the first prize was bestowed on 17th December at Bangalore.
- A survey was published by Professor Jude Sommerfeld of Georgia Tech., USA in January 2011 showing that the ICT is Number One Institute in India far ahead of several others including IITs, and it is also in top 10 in the world in Chemical Engineering. This rank has been maintained since the 1970s.
- Very recently the UGC decided to recognize faculty who has supervised as single guides at least 15 Ph.Ds. The ICT has a record of 11 faculty who qualified for special grants. The Director (Vice Chancellor) Professor G. D. Yadav is the topmost among all academics with the supervision of 61 Ph.Ds. and 58 Masters degree holders. He is the only serving faculty in the State to be a Fellow of the TWAS- the Academy of the Developing World, Trieste, Italy, including Fellowship of INSA.
- The ICT produced 100 Ph.D.s during 2009-10 which is record for any institute in India engaged in chemical engineering and technology.
Departments within Institute of Chemical Technology, [ICT] Mumbai
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Fibers and Textile Processing Technology
- Department of Food Engineering and Technology
- Departments of Oils, Oleochemicals and Surfactants Technology
- Department of Pharamaceutical Sciences and Technology
- Department of Polymer Engineering and Surface Coating Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics
Contact Information of Institute of Chemical Technology, [ICT] Mumbai
Address: Nathalal Parekh Marg, Near Khalsa College, Matunga, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400019