The Law School is one of the earliest Faculties established in the Banaras Hindu University, when teaching started in 1921-22 academic session in two rooms borrowed from the Faculty of Arts. The time was 5 P.M and most of the Faculty members were part time teachers, mostly advocates of Allahabad High Courts. Mahamana Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, the founder of this university, served for many years as Dean of Law School. The legal luminaries like Sir Ras Behari Ghosh and Sir Tej Bahadur Sapru, were the earlier Deans.
It was the financial support of the Ford Foundation that the Law School got a modern building because of the efforts made by Prof. Anandjee and during his Deanship; the Law School reached a new height. The foundation stone of present building was laid down by the former Prime Minister of India, Late Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri on 28th December, 1964.
The Law School is located at a prominent place on the first semicircle around central registry and is housed in a beautiful building constituting the complex. It consists of five distinct wings, viz, the academic wing, well furnished chambers of faculty members and Faculty Lounge linseed by offices of the Faculty administration with the Lecture Theater, classrooms and seminar rooms on the ground floor and Library, Moot Court, Classrooms on the first floor. The structure is same as that of Harvard Law School.
The Law School has been pioneer in introducing full time three year LL.B course of studies and two year full time LL.M. programme. It has taken a lead and perhaps the only Law School in India in introducing two years full time special courses of LL.M. in Human Rights and Duties Educations. It is the first Law School in India to introduce clinical legal education and legal aid program to cater the needs of the poor. The Law School has also taken a lead to introduce community oriented courses of law introducing Law Environment, Law and Country and Town Planning, Law and Poverty, Law and Population, Law and Animals and Many more which were unheard to most of the Law colleges of India.
Faculty of Law is on one of the famous institutes for legal education in the country. It is located in the campus of Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi. It is one of the earliest faculties started in the campus of main university. The Law School was established in the year 1921 and a team of Allahabad High Courts advocates were the faculty members. BHU is one of the 6th law institutes in the country to establish CLINICAL LEGAL SERVICES. It is one of the premier law institutes in India which provide excellent legal education with true essence. BHU played an important role in providing quality legal education in India. The college is recognized by the Bar Council of India.
The Banaras Law School should be a pioneer institution of legal education in India with an excellent team of teachers and a selected students body, stressing individual attention and extensive as well as intensive study and thereby carrying further the all important task of educational renaissance in the country in a manner befitting the monumental efforts of the founder of the University, Mahamana Madan Mohan Malaviya ji - Prof. Anand Jee, 'Dean's Report', (1965) 1 Banaras Law Journal 1, at 3.
BELIEVE that Dharma sustains the whole universe, i.e. Dharmo Vishwasya Jagatah Pratistha.
BELIEVE that Law Graduates have to play a significant role in the preservation and promotion of the cherished values of the society.
BELIEVE that if the Rule of Law is to be preserved and the law graduates are to play their full role in the society, we must provide a system of legal education that will produce man adept in tailoring legal prescription to the needs of present day India and making our law a tool of social engineering.
The Law School offers 100% Job Placement in leading law firms.